University of California, RiversideUCR



Responding to Distressed Students 

Responding to Distressed Students Requires Intervention

Distressed students may go unnoticed for many reasons. And even when noticed, they can be difficult to cope with. When interacting with someone experiencing emotional stress, you may feel you're "in over your head." However, it's important to know that it's likely that a situation involving a distressed student will not just go away unless there's an intervention. An effective intervention requires knowing how to respond to these incidents and knowing what resources to call:

  • If an emergency situation exists, notify UCR Campus Police immediately (911).
  • In non-emergency cases, contact the Student Affairs Case Manager at 951-827-5000. The Case Manager will assess distressed or distressing students that are referred and link them to the appropriate resources.
  • Faculty and Staff: Download a Counseling Center guide with straightforward advice, techniques and suggestions on how to cope with, intervene and assist troubled and/or distressed students.
  • Download a Mental Health Resource Guide, a quick reference with phone numbers and email addresses for the UCR wellness departments you use most!
  • Want more information and training about responding to distressed or distressing students? Request a presentation from the Student Affairs Case Manager.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

The AVC & Dean of Students
381 Highlander Union Building

Tel: (951) 827-6095
Fax: (951) 827-4701
E-mail: deanofstudents@ucr.edu